“Go, gather all the Jews who are present in Shushan, and fast for me; neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day. My maids and I will fast likewise. And so I will go to the king, which is against the law; and if I perish, I perish!” -Esther 4:16
When the Jews in Persia are in danger, Esther calls a fast of all the Jews in Persia. Esther could have fasted herself, even asked her maids to join her. Instead, she calls all of them to fast. A corporate fast is a more powerful and effective fast than fasting individually, and benefits you as a individual as well. Why?
1. There is power in agreement. “…if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by my father in heaven.” (Matt. 18:19)
2. Much bigger problems can be attacked and overcome when we fast together.
3. Fasting with others is a great source of encouragement. Depending on when a person fasts, what type of fast a person does, and how long a person fasts, fasting can be challenging, and most of us need all of the encouragement we can get!
4. The issues that we fast about corporately affect each of us individually. When we are fasting for the Church’s vision, that will ultimately affect our individual vision for our lives. When we fast for the Church’s finances, that will also affect your finances. When we fast for marriages in the Church, that will also affect each one of our marriages.
5. Fasting together draws us together. As we go through these 21 days together, we will see our relationships strengthened as the Holy Spirit shows us our own hearts and how we can better love and serve one another.
6. Fasting focuses all of us in the same direction…on God, His Word, His Spirit, His Will, and His Purposes.
As we participate in this powerful time af fasting together, you are sowing into your family for eternal results!